nanog mailing list archives

RE: Google-jacking?

From: "Eric Pylko" <eric () infinitenetworks us>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:45:31 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu] On Behalf Of
Dave Temkin
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 3:08 PM
To: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: Google-jacking?

FWIW, it's not a virus, it's something infrastructure related.  All of the
systems that I've seen this on have all the latest DAT's and the proxy
servers it sits behind are virus scanning as well (for both email and web)
and use alternate vendors

This is an Active-X exploit.  It makes changes to your registry and DNS
which is why you can't get to google.  There are some other sites it munges
too.

If you can get to google on a working machine, search for the site that the
infected machines are redirecting to and you'll find out how to fix your
systems.  Here's one of the URLs it returns:
http://www.imilly.com/google.htm

-Eric