nanog mailing list archives

Re: AS Path Loops in practice ?

From: Joe Provo <nanog-post () rsuc gweep net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 16:54:07 -0500

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 03:50:21PM -0500, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
Jaideep Chandrashekar <jaideepc () cs umn edu> writes:
[snip]
11608 2914 1239 12064 22773 12064 11836
1221 4637 1239 12064 22773 12064 11836
[snip]
In many (most?) these "loops" are intentional, and a result of playing
prepending games...  There's no restriction on what you can prepend to
an AS path (and it can be handy to put stuff in there to keep other
providers from picking up your routes as we'll see momentarily), but
your peer generally wants to see the most recent as in the path as
your AS.

So if I (AS3066) wanted to send routes to Sprint that were not to be
picked up by UUnet, I could do as follows:

   route-map to-as1239-nothanks-uu permit 10
    set as-path prepend 3066 701

and apply it outbound in the advertisement to Sprint.

Then what you would see in the route reflector would be:

   1239 3066 701 3066

While this is an explataion of the behavior, it should not be
an endorsement.  Prepending someone else's AS is a bad practive.
Not only does it munge 'pure' research data, but fowls some
levels of peer evaluation [in the example, and as-701 connected
entity seeing your path from 1239 would have to determine why
they weren't getting your paths; or a casual glance would indicate
you were'nt peer-worthy because you were behind a peer].  Worse,
forging AS-paths obfuscates the operational chain of responsibility.
Of course that is the goal of some of theses actrivities.
Obviously-bogus AS paths are a strong indicator of suspicious
activity.

Many providers publish specific BGP communities for customers to
use to handle the redistribution at the provider's edge; some are
coarse-grained and some provide real control. Many provide something
but you have to ask for the information. If your provider doesn't
give you this service/feature, demand it.

In RS's example, a trip to http://www.sprint.net/policy/bgp.html
would tell you to just tag with community 65000:701
    route-map to-as1239-nothanks-uu permit 10
     set community 65000:701

Attempting action at a distance generally fails at the far-end of
your service contract; any implementation that *does* work *should*
only spew data the same distance.

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE