nanog mailing list archives

Re: MTU path discovery and IPSec

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:50:02 -0500

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:03:38 EST, Barney Wolff said:

That's not how PMTUD works.  If DF is set, you discard the packet and
report back with ICMP.  If DF is not set, you frag the packet - but
that's not PMTUD, because no report ever goes back to the sender.

Oh, so we compute ONE number if DF is set, saying what number we think they
should use - but if DF *isn't* set, we use a different number.  Sounds like more
complicated code that's just there so it can sink its teeth into the rump of the
first banana-eating NOC dweller that has to figure out what's wrong....

Unless of course there's a *reason* we want it different? Though it escapes me what
it might be....