nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sea sponge builds a better glass fiber

From: Scott McGrath <mcgrath () fas harvard edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:12:06 -0400 (EDT)

The natural enemy in this case would be the filefish or the angelfish who
eat the sponges...

                            Scott C. McGrath

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, David Meyer wrote:

I'm still waiting for the discovery of its natural enemy, the Backhoeiosaur.

      All kidding aside, my concern is that it's natural enemy
      has just found it.

It's such a wonderful example of how exquisite nature is as a
designer and builder of complex systems," said Geri Richmond, a
chemist and materials scientist at the University of Oregon who
wasn't involved in the study.

"We can draw it on paper and think about engineering it but
we're in the stone age compared to nature," she said.

      That much seems clear.

      Dave