nanog mailing list archives

Re: Email virus protection

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:01:11 -0500

Christopher J. Wolff wrote:

Hello,

What is the most common method for providing virus protection for your
hosted email customers?  Thank you in advance.

The best method for protection of your network (by limiting exposure of your users to viruses) is to strip executable files. We replace the files with a small text file mentioning the filename and a brief description of why we stripped it and who to contact if they need the file.

I recommend executable stripping before virus scanning in all cases. Virus scanning is still vulnerable to startup viruses (Sobig-F could have infected numberous users before the dat files update).

-Jack