nanog mailing list archives

Re: To send or not to send 'virus in email' notifications?

From: "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy () druid net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:40:53 -0400

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 10:25, Joe Maimon wrote:
Considering the amount of email traffic generated by responding to
forged  virus laden email from culprits like sobig should email virus
scanning systems be configured to send notifications back to sender or not?

Absolutely not.  My spam filters are handling the original spam fine but I am
getting tons of responses to email I didn't send in the first place.  It's
legitimate email from legitimate sources so the filters don't catch it but it
is garbage nonetheless.