nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why do you use Netflow

From: Jason Frisvold <friz () corp ptd net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:32:47 -0400

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 16:12, Jack Bates wrote:
Number one use for netflow, scan detections. I detect most users
infected with a virus before remote networks can auto-gen a report. I
also detect mail being sent from various customer machines. High volume
traffic flags me so I can investigate if it's spam or not.

Cool.. I never thought of using it for this...

I can tell you (well, I won't without a court order, but I could) the
username, or customer name (if static), of every worm infected user on
my network at any given point in time. 50+ inactive flows for an IP
address is definite worm sign. If you want to be more specific, do
sequential scan checks on the flow data. Has been very useful in dealing
with Blaster.

Worm Sign...  Dune...  Cool :)

We used ip accounting the other night to detect and disable a large
number of worm infected users that took out the router completely..  I
think net flow would have been too much overhead at the time...  Once we
were down to a more manageable number of infected users, we used netflow
to pinpoint them immediately...  (Note, we don't leave netflow on all
the time)

Netflow is particularly useful when utilizing NAT, as it's much easier
to collected netflow data than translation tables.

On a cold, boring day, you can setup aggregates and generate cute little
statistics for all sorts of things, and I hear it's useful in some
scenarios.

Sounds like fun...  I wish I had slow boring days...  *grin*

-Jack
--
Jason H. Frisvold