nanog mailing list archives

Re: Did Sean Gorman's maps show the cascading vulnerability in Ohio?

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:47:27 -0700

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:15:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Scott McGrath <mcgrath () fas harvard edu>
Sender: owner-nanog () merit edu

Information should be free.  This however assumes that people will be
_responsible_ for what is done with the information.

On Manuel and Jose - with a valid permit number they get the information
if Bubba and Joe do not have a _valid_ permit number they do not get the
information because in the absence of legitimate need for this information
they probably should not have it

This does not at all match reality. People don't have to have a permit
to need to call USA (Call before you dig where I live.) Many things
not requiring a permit do require calling USA before digging. I just
tell them that I am digging at a location and they tell me if it's OK
and if anything is near-by.

I've been told to call for any dig deeper than 1 foot. Planting a tree
does not require a permit, but the hole is plenty deep enough to be a
problem!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)