nanog mailing list archives

Re: East Coast outage?

From: Haesu <haesu () towardex com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:17:12 -0400

And if we extrapolate that lesson to IP networks it implies that any
medium to large sized organization should do their own BGP peering
and multihome to 3 or more upstream network providers. On the other
hand, if you understand why electrical networks shed load and develop
their cascading failures, you might see some parallels between "load"
and the propagation of BGP announcements which are worrying.

Makes remember the days of AS7007... AS numbers are very much like power grids..

Perhaps we should start working on a hierarchical routing system in
which the concept of a "global routing table" cannot develop. Perhaps
announcements and withdraws should have a TTL so that they never
propogate very far from their source AS?

And how would global uniqueness and reachability of a route be done? Dampening
to some extent quite helps a lot..

-hc

--
Sincerely,