nanog mailing list archives

Re: How much longer..

From: Shawn Morris <shawn () smorris com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:04:38 -0400

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 02:17:08PM +0100, variable () ednet co uk wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, St. Clair, James wrote:

Cars did not become more popular because owners had to learn how to swap
more parts.

The good ole "computers as cars" metaphor.  In the UK:

1) In order to drive a car, you have to have a license.
                 ^^^^^

Yes, I have to understand how to operate a car.  I don't need to know
how to change my oil.  Also, at least in the United States one must have
a very limited understanding of driving.  There is no real testing of
driving in anything other than normal condititions.

2) In order to have the car on the road, you have to have it taxed and
have a qualified mechanic certify it for basic road worthiness.

That may be the case in the UK, but I can assure you in Illinois it is
not.  Take a drive on the Dan Ryan Expressway sometime and you will see
cars with bumpers and fenders held on with rope.

Neither of these rules currently apply to computers.  Maybe they should.

Rich

--
Shawn Morris