nanog mailing list archives

RE: The impending DDoS storm

From: Jason Frisvold <friz () corp ptd net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:07:11 -0400

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 10:55, Ingevaldson, Dan (ISS Atlanta) wrote:
More info:

-Opens a raw socket and spoofs its source address

It *appears* to us through current testing that the source address
spoofed is always within the class of the current subnet...  So, a
spoofing filter that denies all but the local subnet may only be
partially affective..

-Randomizes its source port, but destination is always TCP/80
-Does one DNS lookup on "windowsupdate.com" and then uses the IP
returned
-The window size is always 16384 (this might be useful)

It also looks like there is no throttling at all.. it abuses as much
bandwidth as it possibly can...

Regards,
Daniel Ingevaldson
Engineering Manager, X-Force R&D