nanog mailing list archives

Re: Server Redundancy

From: "Nathan J. Mehl" <memory-nanog () blank org>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:15:43 -0400

In the immortal words of variable () ednet co uk (variable () ednet co uk):

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Austad, Jay wrote:
As a side note, I've used Cisco's CSS, F5's stuff, Alteon, and Foundry.  Out
of all of them that I've used, the Foundry had the least problems and had a
nicely structured config.

Foundry seems to be fine for www traffic, but has serious issues with
handling long FTP sessions.  FTP works while you're in your stickiness
period (up to 2 hours on the non-XL serveriron), but after that it will
forget which FTP server has the control session and send your next data
session to another server which won't recognise it.  Last time I spoke to
Foundry, this was still considered a "feature".

Do other vendors handle this properly?

I recall that Resonate Central Dispatch handled this well the last
time I looked, but the last time I looked was about 3 years ago now,
so take that for what it's worth.  (www.resonate.com)

-n

My goal is real simple: to write better than anyone who can write faster than
me, and faster than anyone who can write better than me.  (--J.M. Straczynski)