nanog mailing list archives

Re: Class "B" IP BLOCK

From: Eric Kuhnke <eric () fnordsystems com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:20:30 -0700

It can't be transfered. The netblock is allocated to who ARIN says it is. If they do decide to do recalls, just
posting the block in this forum is enough to initiate a utilization check. Besides, why would someone pay for
something they can get for free? Show need, and it is given. I'm sure someone would love a /16 to brag about, but good
luck getting ARIN to alter who owns it.

I received this from the guy selling the /16:

Hope this helps. We've received bids today up to $175K, and if you are
interested expect to close when bidding reaches $250K. My phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx.

For $175,000 , wouldn't it make more sense to spend $175k on routers, network connectivity, and other equipment to
create an actual business for the purpose of justifying a /16 request?  At least that way, ARIN can't arbitrarily
decide to "steal" your $175k investment by repossessing unused IP space.  I wonder if that $175k should be wired to a
bank account in Nauru...

<:-)