nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spam thread

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck Nether net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:35:32 -0400

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 03:27:39PM -0500, Jack Bates wrote:

Susan Harris wrote:

Can we please stop the spam thread ("Open relays and open proxies") and
take it to a more appropriate list:

I agree that it's a more appropriate list. Yet I do wonder if the
discussion (at least in part), and particularly the original thread
before the various sub-threads on SC and blacklisting started is not
appropriate for nanog.

        Feel free to move the discussion over to a seperate list,
I've had an inet-ops list for some time on my system and the
topic of proxies that are available for abuse are important
for the operator community as a whole to deal with as they
can be used for numerous bad things.

In particular, I feel issues with proxies, trojans, etc and how they are
dealt with between networks, and their foreseeable threat to the
infrastructure itself is relevant to the following the the charter:

"# Discuss specific implementation issues which require cooperation and
coordination among network service providers to ensure the stability of
overall service to the network users.
# Serve as a focal point for other common activities of the participants.
# Promote and coordinate interconnection of networks within North
America and to other continents."

        - Jared

--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared () puck nether net