nanog mailing list archives

Re: any known users of NetRange 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255

From: Tony Rall <trall () almaden ibm com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:31:00 -0700

On Friday, 2002-09-27 at 03:14 GMT, "E.B. Dreger"
<eddy+public+spam () noc everquick net> wrote:
It's difficult for TCP to work when there's no return path,
unless one has highly-predictable ISNs.  Chances are it's
"inside" the network.

Perhaps you missed the point where the original problem was with an email
address:

" I have this very odd email address found with one of our employees....
<hidden_user@172.17.0.1>"

Email addresses, in fact everything in rfc822 headers, are unrelated to
tcp connectivity issues.  If the employee got the email I'm willing to
assume there was connectivity.  If you wish, I can describe exactly how
such an address could be in the rfc822 From header of a message that could
be delivered to you - even if 172.17.0.1 is the address of the originating
device and you have no way of reaching that address.

Tony Rall