nanog mailing list archives

Re: Wireless insecurity at NANOG meetings

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 05:16:03 -0400

In message <Pine.GSO.4.40.0209221641250.23761-100000 () clifden donelan com>, Sean
 Donelan writes:

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Randy Bush wrote:
    - the users need to be told how to operate more safely, use
      end-to-end authentication and privacy, etc.  it's a matter of
      education.  and the education will stand them in good stead
      when they use 802.11 at starbucks, airports, etc.  we do this
      at ietf, but it is not allowed at nanog.

Sunday afternoon is full of tutorials on lots of different subjects.
Has anyone volunteed to conduct a Sunday tutorial on wireless security
for users of "public" wireless networks?

Although I think it is a mistake to think a wireless network security
is different than using any other network you don't control.  Most
wireless security tutorials tend to concentrate on "securing" the
wireless network instead of how to communicate over an untrusted
network.

Precisely -- and it's precisely why I'm not a big fan of "wireless
security" as a discipline:  my threat model for the wired network has
never been any different than for wireless...

                http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)