nanog mailing list archives

Re: Whitehouse Tackels Cybersecurity

From: batz <batsy () vapour net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:03:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Sean Donelan wrote:

:Is the telephone security model better than the Internet security model?
:It depends on who you ask.  They both have interesting security issues.
:Unfortunately, a lot of it is based on perception on both sides, and only
:a little on fact.

Indeed, I am currently trying to retrofit security features onto a routed
network designed by people who evidently have a better understanding of
switching. It is no coincidence that they just happen to be telco network
architects.  (I can't believe I am still describing the importance of
DNS to people in 2002, but I digress..)

IMHO, the telco model is based on the notion of delivering services
from a set of tiered providers instead of the facilitating the
interconnection of relatively autonomous networks. It's pretty
much a difference of philisophical worldviews. While there is
some conceptual overlap between them, they are not particularly
isometric.