nanog mailing list archives

Re: Eugene Call for Presentations

From: Susan Harris <srh () merit edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:23:18 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Henk! We'll be back in touch in later in September, once all the
NANOG26 submissions have been received and reviewed.

Susan Harris, Ph.D.
Merit Network/Univ. of Mich.

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC) wrote:

Hi Susan,

Hi - just a reminder that abstracts are due this Monday, Sept. 16.

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS

I'd like to propose the following presentation:

New services from the RIPE NCC
------------------------------

During the last 5 years, the RIPE NCC has been working on 2 new services
for the entire ISP community: TTM or Test Traffic Measurements, and the
RIS or Routing Information Service.   These projects were presented at the
Spring 1999 NANOG meeting but a large number of new features have been
added during the last 3 years.

TTM: The TTM now consists of a network of +/- 70 machines, measuring
     delay and loss between sites all over the world.  Since 1999, 2 new
     measurements have been added:

     - IP Delay Variations a.k.a. Jitter
     - Bandwidth measurements, providing an estimate of both the
       total available bandwidth between sites as well as the
       unused bandwidth.

     We also would like to take this opportunity to present the new
     CDMA based version of the measurement device.  CDMA is a 3rd
     generation mobile telephony standard that, as a side effect,
     produces a timing signal.  This timing signal can be used to measure
     the performance of both IPv4 and IPv6 networks down to the 10
     microsecond level, anywhere when one can use a mobile phone without
     the need for an expensive and hard to install GPS system.

RIS: The RIS is now collecting BGP information from 9 sites world-wide,
     with collectors in North American, Europe and Asia, with some 200
     ISP's participating by providing a BGP feed. New applications (since
     the project was presented at the Spring 1999 NANOG) of the data
     include:

     - Daily lists of hot-spots with the most active prefixes
     - Analysis of flaps in the routing table.
     - Detection of AS's and prefixes announced by ISP's but not properly
       registered in the whois data-base and/or not assigned to them.
     - Multi homing effects.

This talk gives a short overview of the various services and how they can
be used in daily ISP operations, using the shutdown of a major European
backbone provider that recently went bankrupt as an example.

Henk

ps. While I hope that more people will start using these services after
this talk, this is definitely not a sales talk.

Comment: I can do this talk in either one of 2 ways (or both): a short
plenary presentation (20 mins or so), showing the highlights and URL's,
inviting people to try these at home, or a longer version (2 hours or so)
showing people the details.  The latter would be more suitable for a
tutorial or BOF.  Just let me know what you prefer.

Henk Uijterwaal                    Email: henk.uijterwaal () ripe net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1016 AB Amsterdam                    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746