nanog mailing list archives

Re: Top AS Offenders causing RFC-1918 DNS traffic

From: Henry Yen <henry () AegisInfoSys com>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 20:35:34 -0400

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 05:09:02AM -0700, Sameer R. Manek wrote:
Since Win2k and I assume XP both attempt to perform dynamic dns updates,
hosts behind NAT, windows will happily send the update requests up the dns
tree as far as it can. When @Home was around, the primary name servers for
home.com used to see update attempts constantly.

Paul Vixie has posted in here statistics about the root levels getting
hammered by such update attempts in the past.

Any technical solution performed at the network level would be a bubble gum
and duct tape attempt to fix what was poorly engineered at the software
level. Since it's unlikely Microsoft will issue some sort of fix to the
problem.

at URL: http://www.caida.org/outreach/presentations/dns0209/mgp00021.txt
      malformed A queries were 14% of the load at F.root
      asking for the IP address of an IP address
      example: "A 206.168.0.4" - should not happen
      guilty: Microsoft Win2k resolver, viruses (win95/98/nt), macOSX resolver
 -->  (good news: with our help, Microsoft found and fixed
 -->  this bug in Win2k (although the way to turn off a
      bad default configuration is 6 or so menus deep...)
--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York