nanog mailing list archives

Re: Security focus (aka bugtraq) reachability

From: Henry Yen <henry () AegisInfoSys com>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 01:12:35 -0400

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 04:31:12AM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
On 14 Sep 2002, Scott Gifford wrote:
I can reach it, but it's not working, and this is sure strange:
    $ telnet www.securityfocus.com 80
    Trying 66.38.151.10...
    Connected to www.securityfocus.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    HEAD / HTTP/1.0

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
 -> Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0

I can't confirm from actual SF personnel conversations, BUT apparently its
not unheard of for SF to pull up the drawbridge in times of 'trouble'.
Apparently in the past they have done this before especially bad 'trouble'
has been released :(

Or they could have some network problem :)

or, they might be moving.  www.securityfocus.com resolves to different
IP addresses, depending on whom you ask:

   > www.securityfocus.com.
   Server:  ns1.symantec.com
   Address:  198.6.49.5

   Name:    www.securityfocus.com
   Address:  66.38.151.10

   > www.securityfocus.com.
   Server:  ns2.securityfocus.com
   Address:  205.206.231.18

   Name:    www.securityfocus.com
   Address:  205.206.231.10

using the 205.206.231.10 address, you get
   Trying 205.206.231.10...
   Connected to www.securityfocus.com.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   HEAD / HTTP/1.0