nanog mailing list archives

Re: Console Servers

From: Charles Sprickman <spork () inch com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:51:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Simon Lockhart wrote:

I also noted that BBC is using a mess of these at Telehouse...

"...a mess..." ?

Just to be clear, when I say "mess" I don't mean messy, but "a lot",
"bunches", "oodles", etc.

You have a very nice neat setup there, one of the better organized open
cabinets I saw in the facility.  I was working about 3 cabinets down.  I
also was wondering where that Axis cam was displayed, now I know.

I did see on major carrier there with a bunch of Juniper equipment and
about 3 OC-48, 2 OC-12 and 2 or 3 OC-3 interfaces.  No door on the
cabinet.  Very frightening given the recent "security" thread.  It was so
messy I'd be worried someone walking by could accidentally take out a few
OC-48 lines...

Charles

      http://support.bbc.co.uk/support/standards/rack_top.jpg

We do indeed use the Lantronix, have done since '97 or before. Not really
had any reliability problems with them. The odd fan bearing has gone, but
they keep running none-the-less.

The CLI is very VMSish, but not bad when you get used to it, plenty of
online help.

Only minor niggle is that they changed the authentication procedure in
a recent code version, without flagging it in big letters.

Cisco -

2 suggestions to use a 2511 or a 3620 with 16 port async cards.  The 2511
would probably be a bit too slow if you enable ssh though...

I use a 2610 with the 16 port async card for personal colo, and it works
well. Not noticed any performance problems for occasional use. Biggy niggle
is that you can't easily setup ssh to a port with per-port passwords. Had
to fudge it thus:

      username port1 noescape password 7 **************
      username port1 autocommand telnet 123.45.67.89 2033

      interface Loopback0
       ip address 123.45.67.89 255.255.255.255

      access-list 1 permit 123.45.67.89

      line 33 48
       access-class 1 in
       no exec
       transport input telnet

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516