nanog mailing list archives

Re: How do you stop outgoing spam?

From: "Marshall Eubanks" <tme () multicasttech com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:10:46 -0400

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 01:48:57 +0200 (CEST)
 Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com> wrote:

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

Ok, suppose someone can touch type. The world record is something like
600
key presses per minute, which is 10 41-byte TCP packets per second ~= 4
kbps.

When I go to Internet cafe's (I like Global Gossip), I connect my Ti-book
to the local ethernet if at all possible (that's why I like Global Gossip)
and
use high bit rates (i.e., file transfers) in both direction.

Would the uploads be HTTP? That's the only thing I'd want to limit to a
few kbps. (Well, and outgoing SMTP to 0 kbps.)

When I am at a cafe I use a web based encrypted email program, and
if I email a large attachment (say a pdf file), then it goes http outbound.
The other major outbound bandwidth use is scp (very rarely, ftp or ssh).

I do not really see what the touch typing limit is relevant to - whose primary
Internet use is telnet /ssh now-a-days ?

Again, when I go to a cafe in another city, I am generally there to
get some work done, and frequently have a bunch of previously prepared
files to send. I may not be a typical user...

Regards
Marshall

If I was limited to 4 kbps outbound, I would want my money back.

Just one customer viewpoint :)

Understandable. On the other hand, spammers using internet cafes isn't
good either.