nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerbilities of Interconnection

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck Nether net>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:20:28 -0400

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 01:55:40PM -0400, batz wrote:
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Pawlukiewicz Jane wrote:
:would be difficult to reach. I'd have to run a model to be sure, but
:every one of the major seven have rerouting methodologies that would
:recover from the loss. And I don't think they exclusively peer at

ASN's to "fail", then see who is still connected, but we are
still dealing with connectivity relatve to us and our peers,
even 5+ AS-hops away.

I would imagine this is one of the tasks CAIDA.org is probably
working on, as it seems to fall within their mission.

        Coming up with the as interconnection data is actaully fairly
easy if you parse route-views data.  This obviously doesn't cover
every possible interconnection that exists but it does provide
a large swath of data to review for the interconnection
postulation.

        Looking at that data, (this is an old snapshot) the top ten
networks are:  (in #10->#1 order)

conn  ASN
----+----
 161 3356
 229 1
 242 2914
 248 209
 274 6461
 277 3561
 295 3549
 328 7018
 484 701
 493 1239

        - Jared

--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared () puck nether net