nanog mailing list archives

Re: Broadening the IPv6 discussion

From: Petri Helenius <pete () he iki fi>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 11:34:39 +0300

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
one" and then it levels off again. The question is: where on the S are we
now? There is something to be said for high (close to leveling off)
because pretty much anyone who wants/needs IP in North America and Europe
has it, but maybe we're still quite low, since lots of stuff that could
benefit from IP connectivity is still standalone. (And then there's the
rest of the world, of course.)

I think we'll have a "double S". Almost all residential broadband providers
here (.fi) have changed their policy from allocating 10/8 addresses and
NATting the tens of thousands of subscribers to the outside to automatically
allocating public IP's with DHCP. Total consumption in order of a few
hundred thousand addresses for our small country alone.

The problem is not so much address space (you can run a fortune 500
company behind a single address with NAT) but routing. This is still a big
problem in IPv6 (as we're hoping to avoid the mess that is IPv4), but I
think we're getting closer to a solution.

Private address space is a pain if you have to redo company boundaries.
Merging two or three businesses who all used the first subnets of 10/8
takes a lot of unneccessary extra hardware.

Pete