nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN Targets DDoS Attacks

From: "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark () attbi com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:35:38 -0800

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:00:06 -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote,
On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:48:39 PST, Jeff Shultz said:

Smurf.

Okay. What will this do to my user's ping and traceroute times, if
anything? I've got users who tend to panic if their latency hits 250ms
between here and the moon (slight exaggeration, but only slight).

I just love it when I've got people blaming me because the 20th hop on
a traceroute starts returning  * * * instead of times.

So you rate limit it to several/second or something appropriate for the normal
traffic levels.  You don't allow ping/traceroute to broadcast addresses.

On the classless Internet, how does any router know what is or is not
a broadcast address when the final destination is not local?
--
Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark () alum mit edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     cjc () freebsd org