nanog mailing list archives

NMS/OSS commercial software : short summary from NANOG replies - here it is

From: m.rapoport () completel fr
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:03:37 +0100

Sorry for my previous mail that was sent empty, due to a mouse clicking bug
;-)

So, at last, here is the summary of the answers, plus additional
information resulting from meetings
I had  with some vendors in the last days :

First of all, one contributor emphazises on the fact that focusing on
people and process is at least
as important as on the tools used for NMS.
Now the products :

- Infovista :
According to someone (Hi Mike,see you on rs-sp ;-)  ), the product  is
considered to be flexible
to build SLA reporting package, and very customizable to specific needs.

According to another one:
"Our NOC uses it and it just is not useful in any way, it usually is not
common sense,
the implementation is not straight- forward, it is awkward, and makes
shortcuts that shall not be made".
no comments ....