nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN Targets DDoS Attacks

From: "Stephen J. Wilcox" <steve () telecomplete co uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:11:21 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Jeff Shultz wrote:

On 10/29/2002 at 3:54 PM Jared Mauch wrote:

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 12:48:39PM -0800, Jeff Shultz wrote:

On 10/29/2002 at 3:40 PM Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:25:44 +0200, Petri Helenius <pete () he iki fi>
said:

Why would you like to regulate my ability to transmit and receive
data
using ECHO and ECHO_REPLY packets? Why they are considered
harmful?

Smurf.

Okay. What will this do to my user's ping and traceroute times, if
anything? I've got users who tend to panic if their latency hits
250ms
between here and the moon (slight exaggeration, but only slight).

I just love it when I've got people blaming me because the 20th hop
on
a traceroute starts returning  * * * instead of times.

    that's icmp ttl expired messages.

I know that, and I try to explain it to my customers... but it doesn't
answer the first part of the question - what will throttling ICMP do to
ping and traceroute times? My gut reaction is that it will a. slow them
down and/or b. discard a lot of them making the circuit look unreliable
to ping. But I don't know enough about the underlying technology to be
sure of that.

As they say, if you dont set the rate limit too low then you wont encounter
drops under normal operation.

Steve