nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 country of origin

From: Joe Abley <jabley () isc org>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 01:30:55 -0400

On Wednesday, Oct 2, 2002, at 23:21 Canada/Eastern, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

I would like to restrict access from certain countries to content on my
network (for security and legal reasons).

So far the best algorithm I've been able to come up with is a combination
of reverse DNS and APNIC/ARIN/RIPE whois queries.  I've written a perl
cgi that checks reverse DNS first, and if there is no gtld country code
for the reverse mapping, does a whois query and parses the response for
the address.

If you're in the market for a commercial solution, Ixia do one:

  http://www.ixiacom.com/products/paa/netops/IxMapping.php

I don't know where they get their data from, how accurate it is, or what it costs, but I thought I'd mention that there is at least a way to make the problem someone else's by the simple application of money :)

Joe