nanog mailing list archives

Re: Who does source address validation? (was Re: what's that smell?)

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 12:46:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Jared Mauch wrote:

[People using RFC 1918 addresses for routers that terminate tunnels which
breaks path MTU discovery when RFC 1918 source addresses are filtered
elsewere.]

      People number out of 1918 space primarily for a few
reasons, be them good or not:

      1) Internal use
      2) Cost involved.. nobody else needs to telnet to my p2p
links but me, and i don't want to pay {regional_rir} for my
internal use to reduce costs

So use IP unnumbered.

      3) "security" of not being a "publicly" accessible
network.

Well then they get more security than they bargained for if their network
becomes inaccessible...

      With the past scare of "we'll be out of ip addresses by 199x"
still fresh in some peoples memories, they in their good consience decided
to also conserve ips via this method.