nanog mailing list archives

Re: Who does source address validation? (was Re: what's that smell?)

From: Danny McPherson <danny () tcb net>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 09:30:10 -0600

If there is a magic solution, I would love to hear about it.

I strongly doubt any of the large providers perform dataplane source
address validation from peers.  Heck, I doubt any perform explicit
route filtering on routes learned from peers at the control plane.

Ideally, one would first employ some mechanism to generate
*explicit* ingress BGP route filters.  With BGP Route Refresh
the largest offshoot (manual session reset or "bouncing the
route") is no longer necessary.