nanog mailing list archives

Re: Re: Root DNS Server Issues?

From: David Van Duzer <dvanduzer () infidels org>
Date: 01 Oct 2002 17:53:58 -0600

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 17:46, John Neiberger wrote:

We're getting responses from the root servers, the names just
aren't resolving.  From a windows NT machine the error is "Non-
existent Domain".

Ah, I just noticed something.  The packet length for the DNS
response is supposed to be 510 bytes but it's being truncated
to 128.  What the heck would cause that??

John

The maximum size of a DNS UDP update is 512 bytes, otherwise TCP will be
utilized.  A SERVFAIL response might very well be only 128 bytes.  You
might want to make sure your root hints file is correct.

-dvd