nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS 101

From: Kandra Nygårds <kandra () foxette net>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 22:41:15 +0100

From: "Damian Gerow" <damian () sentex net>

Could I ask people with domains ending in .ca to do lookups of type NS
for that/those domain(s) against all the ca. nameservers, and let me
know if you see anything weird?  Specifically, can you look at the
ANCOUNT response?

Just looking to see if my DNS understanding is way off whack, or if
there really /is/ something funky going on with a couple of the servers.

I don't see anything wrong in particular, apart from a few of the servers
responding with glue data in the answer-section, instead of the authority
section. I assume this is what you're refering to. This is correct behavior,
glue data is not an authorative answer and should therefore not be in the
answer section. This was a misimplementation in BIND prior to version 9.

Best regards,
Kandra Nygårds