nanog mailing list archives

Re: Experts: Don't dismiss cyberattack warning

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <ssprunk () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:40:14 -0600

Thus spake "Dan Hollis" <goemon () anime net>
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Rajendra G. Kulkarni wrote:

http://computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,76000,00.html

I don't think anyone is skeptical that fundamentalist muslims would try
internet attacks, what I think people are skeptical of is bakri's claim
that "There are millions of Muslims around the world involved in hacking
the Pentagon and Israeli government sites".

I'm not skeptical that millions of starving Arabs living in caves or being
slaughtered by their dictators are going to find computers, connect to the
Net (outlawed by their leaders), and attack us.

What I'm skeptical of is that this threat is remotely comparable to another
AS7007 incident caused by some half-asleep NOC engineer in the US making a
typo or other random clueless mistake.

Hanlon's Razor:  Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity.