nanog mailing list archives

Re: DirecPC Protocols

From: Clayton Fiske <clay () bloomcounty org>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:12:15 -0800

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 02:53:59PM -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:

I've been looking for some technical descriptions on how DirecPC works
from a TCP/IP point of view. Does anyone out there have some
references? I have not been able to find anything too detailed, and
from what I have been told, they are not too forthcoming when
contacted directly.

I know the rough outline. The customer sends out traffic over a normal
PPP link (since the customer has no uplink to the DirecPC satellite)
to a separate ISP. The traffic has a spoofed source address set to
some DirecPC server at their ground site(s). Thus, the third-party
target's response goes to DirecPC who send it over their satellite
link back to the customer using the wide satellite pipe instead of the
narrow PPP pipe.

I'm not sure how many users are on the legacy system still, but
the latest DirecPC service "DIRECWAY" is actually two-way satellite
connectivity without the need for a dial uplink.

-c