nanog mailing list archives

Re: Blocking specific sites within certain countries.

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:52:14 -0500

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:11:14 EST, Jim Deleskie <jdeleski () rci rogers com>  said:

Its my understanding that since Akamai is based on DNS resolves if you where
to use the method of blocking it within the DNS system it would make no
difference. Although I'm no Akamai expert.

The Akamai gotcha is that if you block www.terrorist.com, where terrorist.com
points to an Akamai server, you *ALSO* break the 4,934 *other* websites that
happen to have content on that same server.
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer