nanog mailing list archives

Re: Controlling Spam to the NOC

From: <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 17:17:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 23 May 2002 measl () mfn org wrote:

<ramble>
You hit it dead on: use all the tools at your disposal, but preemptively
"whitelist" your customers.  Unfortunately, the whitelisting isn't always as
easy as it sounds.  If they are within your IP space, you're good to go, but
if they have the rare portable block, or they are multihomed, etc., you need
to be more careful.
</ramble>

In Short: Whitelist like crazy, and then blacklist like mad!

We do both...but I wouldn't say whitelist like crazy.  More like whitelist
as needed, and find a blacklist or one of the message body parsing utils
you like...or both.

For the rare emergency when a customer (or non-customer) needs to talk to
our NOC and can't get email through, we have these neat things called
telephones.  They work pretty well.  In fact, I think mine often works too
well.

--
 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |