nanog mailing list archives

Re: "portscans" (was Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product)

From: Ralph Doncaster <ralph () istop com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 19:17:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 18 May 2002, Scott Francis wrote:

And why, pray tell, would some unknown and unaffiliated person be scanning my
network to gather information or run recon if they were not planning on
attacking? I'm not saying that you're not right, I'm just saying that so far
I have heard no valid non-attack reasons for portscans (other than those run
by network admins against their own networks).

I often like to know if a particular web server is running Unix or
Winblows.  A port scanner is a useful tool in making that determination.

<sarcasm>
And why, pray tell, would some stranger be carrying a concealed gun if
they were not planning on shooting someone?
</sarcasm>