nanog mailing list archives

RE: 1024-bit RSA keys in danger of compromise (fwd)

From: "Deepak Jain" <deepak () ai net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:05:21 -0500

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Deepak Jain wrote:

If its a big surprise that any key of any arbitrary length can be cracked
in
finite time and in finite resources, I think people haven't been thinking
about the information presented in the security books out there. Most of
the
estimates that say anything is "unbreakable" don't recognize that Moore's
law is real, and accelerating...

That is a falicy. Moore's law is most certainly not accelerating -- in
fact:

1965-1990 Moore's law stated that the number of transistors per square
inch on integrated circuits (and therefore, the speed) doubles every 2
years. The pace has since slowed down a bit, but appears to be holding
steady at doubling every 18 months (1995-present).

http://www.physics.udel.edu/wwwusers/watson/scen103/intel.html

However, this trend cannot continue forever. In 1997, Moore predicted we
would reach the physical limits on transistor miniaturization somewhere
around 2017. Whatever the actual date, we will need a break-through in
computing to continue to obtain performance increases over time past this
point.

--------

If we are just limiting our analysis to computing power and their physical
size limitations, there are plenty of such breakthroughs on the horizon:

Like Molecular Transistors:

http://www.lucent.com/minds/transistor/molecular/

This is WAY off topic for NANOG. I'm done with this publicly.

Regards,

Deepak Jain
AiNET