nanog mailing list archives

Re: Survey on IBGP persistent route oscillation problem

From: Vincent Gillet <vgi () zoreil com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 18:42:19 +0100

danny () tcb net disait :

We have a similar situation (RR + always-compare-MED off), and the BGP table
version keeps changing at 1K/min (http://performance.cn.net:2003/). I
suspect some
route meet the criteria of IDR-oscillation draft. But in real world, it's
very hard to pick
 up the pattern depicted in the draft from a huge log of debug bgp output.

It's actually quite trivial to identify.  Have a look at:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/770/fn12942.html

As Yu said, it is not so easy.
Most of the output in "show ip route bgp | include , 00:00" command match
flapping updates that are getting "dampening candidates" !!

Beside, you have to run the command on a router that might hit the
problem .... it depends a lot on your peering locations and partners.
If you run Cisco commands on wrong router, you would not see any
problem and may get in wrong conclusion !!

2. From my experience, most flapping seems to be oscillation route
which escaped the eBGP damping protection. And for this, we need
adjust damping parameters from RIPE 220 to make up.

Nope.  Dampening doesn't resolve this because it occurs
intrA-domain.

Does not fix, but it would lower updates thus help to identify
update loops.

Vincent.