nanog mailing list archives

Re: The view from the other side of the fence

From: batz <batsy () vapour net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:57:20 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Sean Donelan wrote:

:With convergence, do you think we will get the best security practices
:from both worlds, or the worst?

Most organizations security policies have grown organically, or by
precedent, as opposed to being 'architected'.

When convergence occurs, the company with the most existing security
infrastructure 'wins'. By this I mean their practices are adopted
by the less organized one.

Also, I have seen some very elaborate, enterprise wide free software security
solutions that were technically elegant, and very robust, but they were
swept aside because the owners of these systems could not adequately
communicate their business value.

It has been my observation that convergence doesn't relate so much to the
integration of technologies to provide new services, as it does the
rationaliztion of differing business models into new ones.