nanog mailing list archives

RE: How do I log on while in flight?

From: James Smith <jsmith () PRESIDIO com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:26:40 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Mansey, Jon [mailto:Jon_Mansey () verestar com]

Does anyone else find this too hard to believe? I cant be the
only one who
has inadvertantly forgotten to power off their cell phone
while flying. This
must happen all the time, but we don't hear about horrible DoS of cell
networks.

Not a problem. Your cell phone is on your hip, buried in the seat with
another body next to it. Great shielding. You are in a giant metal tube,
which also has great shielding properties. It is most likely a small one,
and incapable of great power output.

  You would have to get it and bring it up closer to the window level to
really get a signal out line of sight to a tower.

  It would be instructive to see FCD alarm stats plotted by time and
location...

James H. Smith II NNCDS NNCSE
First Call Response Center
Professional Services - Network Engineer
The Presidio Corporation