nanog mailing list archives

Re: Bogon list

From: "Miquel van Smoorenburg" <miquels () cistron nl>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:34:58 +0000 (UTC)

In article <cistron.20020605013323.A7C1EC7936 () cesium clock org>,
Sean M. Doran <smd () clock org> wrote:

| Why treat exchange subnets differently to any other bit of backbone
| infrastructure?

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree.  I would love them all to use RFC 1918
addresses, because it is VERY VERY VERY rare that anything outside
the scope in which the 1918 local use addresses are unique actually
has to communicate with backbone infrastructure of any type.

And again Path MTU discovery gets broken.

What communication can your workstation have with an XYZNET router?

Receive ICMP size exceeded packets ?

I haven't seen a 'icmp source lo0' interface command yet. Hopefully
it will be added for ipv6 so exchanges can use link-local addressing
(ipv6 has no fragmentation, PMTUd is mandatory).

Mike.