nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reclaiming hijacked handle

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () JustThe net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:30:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Martin Hannigan wrote:

Question 1: Did ARIN start expiring unused handles or did
something in the process of the hijack cause my handle to increment up
to 569, which I'm assuming was the next open number in the
in the scheme for 'MH'.

If they did start expiring unused handles... Mine is used on a SWIP
for a netblock which I no longer control, 207.166.196.176/28. I haven't
used it for anything else. Was your handle taken off all of the records
it used to be on? My handle (sjs5-arin, corresponding to my NetSol handle
sjs5) is still active. With incorrect information, of course, and I have
to update it, but it's still there. But I am still the POC of record for
207.166.196.176/28. My upstream isn't planning to take me off the SWIP
until they reassign the block. :-/

Question 2: If an account is passworded, how were they able to
take it? Does ARIN not ask for a copy of a license or other
photo ID when making voice/fax based changes to POC's?

I required no such info to do my SWIP. In fact, I was working for the
company that is now my upstream at the time, and I just e-mailed the
template in, and they threw it into the database. I didn't even PGP-sign
it.

Keep in mind that this happened at least four or five years ago...

--
Steve Sobol, CTO  JustThe.net LLC, Mentor On The Lake, OH  888.480.4NET
- I do my best work with one of my cockatiels sitting on each shoulder -