nanog mailing list archives

Re: Juniper security appnote + martians

From: bmanning () karoshi com
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:57:25 +0000 (UCT)

Gents,
I thought I would pose the martians question here as well...

I'm trying to find out additional information on the reasoning behind
adding these martians to the Juniper's security appnote found on their
website:

Prefix                Description
19.255.0.0/16 Ford Motor Company
129.156.0.0/16        Sun Microsystems
192.5.0.0/24  no match
192.9.200.0/24        no match
192.9.99.0/24 Sun Microsystems

        A number of these prefixes were used in early documentation
        and as such were widely deployed by early adopters of IP.
        In the "bad old days" a large number of sites stood up IP
        networks in isolation, only interconecting -after- inital
        rollout was done.  Consider it as an early empirical trials
        with RFC 1918 space :)

        Based on the confusion, 192.0.2.0/24 was earmarked for
        use in documentation... :)

        I know of no good reason why Juniper continues to flag these
        legacy blocks.

--bill