nanog mailing list archives

Re: multicast (was Re: Readiness for IPV6)

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () darkwing uoregon edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 21:45:50 -0700 (PDT)

an example of a on-demand reliable multicast transport application that
you can deploy is:

http://www.digital-fountain.com/technology/index.htm

in part it employs them mechanism you describe.

joelja

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Scott A Crosby wrote:

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Even worse, multicast is truly only suitable for live applications;
on-demand content can't be realistically mcasted, and users will not
settle for "the movie starts every 15 minutes" when they've been used
to live VOD with unicast.  The only saving grace may be things like
TiVo, where an intelligent agent slurps up live mcasts in hopes that
the user may want to watch it "live" later.

I remember seeing a presentation about 3-4 years ago for techniques for
doing on-demand stream sending. They assume multicast, sufficient buffer
capacity on clients to hold the entire stream, and that clients have
enough bandwidth to recieve, say, 1.2-3.5 streams at once. There are many
techniques, but the basic idea is to 'merge' streams together...

Say, for example, you have two multicast streams  *.1 and *.2
 *.1 is free and unused.
 *.2 is 2 minutes into a movie.

A client makes a request at T=0, and subscribes to *.1 and *.2.  *.1 sends
the first 2 minutes of the movie then closes. The clients buffers *.2
during those 2 minutes to get minutes 2-4 of the movie. The client drops
*.1 which is now free. Now, at T=2, the client is listening on *.2 giving
it minutes 4-120 of the movie, and minutes 2-4 are buffered on its hard
drive. Now, stream *.1 is free, and two clients are on stream *.2.

Thats the idea, and it can be scaled up.. I think the presentation I saw
claimed that where clients listen to at most 2 streams, and servers send
out at most 8 streams, then the delay before starting a 2 hour movie can
be <12 seconds, instead of <15 minutes.

Some googling finds:
    http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/zahorjan/homepage/

Which can be read or mined for references.

Scott

--
Joel Jaeggli          Academic User Services   joelja () darkwing uoregon edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --