nanog mailing list archives

RE: AOL mail netblocks

From: Martin Hannigan <hannigan () fugawi net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:03:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 jlewis () lewis org wrote:

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Martin Hannigan wrote:

I was hoping someone was going to say that "AOL already does this
themselves". In the 'old' days, there was a list of what to allow
under .ipt.aol.com. It's pretty easy for them to do it, and I'm
guessing that they do actually filter this outbound, or their
managed modem providers may, I'm just looking for a confirmation.

I don't think they do filter outbound SMTP.  I've gotten complaints from
AOL dial-up users that AOL does not filter outbound SMTP, and that they
don't provide outgoig SMTP servers (hard to believe), so we should not
block AOL dial-up addresses, because these people have to run their own
SMTP servers.  My thought/feeling on this is "BS and apathy".  The vast
vast majority of AOL dial-ups have no business doing direct-to-MX email.
The handful that think they do can find workarounds or a more appropriate
provider.

Ok then, is there a place where I can bath myself in AOL
dialup identified netblocks?

I'm not trying to start a spam discussion here on the Operations
list <g> just get some operational information.
-M