nanog mailing list archives

RE: redundancy [was: something about arrogance]

From: "John Ferriby" <john () ferriby com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 07:45:07 -0400

      You cannot as easily be held hostage. I have consulted for
a few ISPs and
have my share of war stories.

      Here's a (true!) example. One day, a certain head of a
fairly large ISP
decided that he wouldn't route traffic to or from IPs he had
assigned that
didn't reverse resolve because he felt it was imperative that
people be able
to find network contacts in this way (I think he got sick of
being the one to
get the abuse emails). He told my client three days before implementing
sweep and filter. He had the equivalent of about 38 /24s from this ISP
distributed over about 180 customers, they were his sole uplink.

[SNIP]

Often overlooked is the redundancy in business processes.  We tend
to view events with an external-forces engineering perspective while
frequently the culprits are uninformed decisions, knee-jerk reactions and
opportunism by humans at our vendors.   (Not to downplay other risks.)

-John

--
John Ferriby - PGP Key: www.ferriby.com/pgpkey