nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anyone here from Microsoft? Hacked?

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:22:51 -0800

On 01/25/02, David Charlap <David.Charlap () marconi com> wrote:

Paul Timmins wrote:

umm, notice that domain name? See that @ sign? Anything before it
is sent as a username, which is generally ignored unless requested.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled network operations
discussion and flamewars.

Reminds me of an old joke when I was in college.  I used to have this in
my .signature:

      Free UNIX accounts.  Telnet to 127.0.0.1.  Use your existing
      user ID and password to login.

I got a lot of mail from concerned-but-clueless people warning me that
this may be a criminal trying to harvest passwords.

Of course, the joke is far less effective today, when most people on the
internet are not using UNIX systems.

        There was a pretty impressive warez network running on that
        IP address for a while, too.

        The slogan was "everything we have is yours."

--
J.D. Falk                     "Whom can you ask
<jdfalk () cybernothing org>       what you came to make happen in this world?"