nanog mailing list archives

Re: Growing DoS attacks

From: Vincent Gillet <vgi () zoreil com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:05:45 +0100

jared () puck Nether net disait :

      Something that people may want to consider doing is
that assuming you are using hardware/software that can support
rate-limit of specific packet types/rates, you could
generate some rate-limits to limit specific types of traffic
to various ranges.

rate-limite and/or traffic filtering may be available on some
box (GSR) but cannot run concurently with other feature (NetFlow).

That is the biggest problem i see trying to put ACL or rate-limite
on GSR boxes. I think the Cisco is working on it.

Output ACL on some GSR linecard (engine 0/1 i think) make Netflow
inactive on _all_ line card :-((

Thus, we cannot put any ACL nor rate-limit on customer connected on GSR
boxes .... and it is hard to explain to customer that this is because
of vendor limitation !!!

The only tool available for these Customers is blackhole for identified
/32 .... bad granularity !

Vincent.