nanog mailing list archives

Transit Analysis

From: Guy.Ram () usa telekom de
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:33:39 -0500

I'm trying to understand what techniques/solutions are available to
determine which AS's would make good peering partners. If we look at our
Transit stream to our upstream provider, I had heard the following from
someone and would like to get some other opinions:

When trying to identify good AS candidates for peering from your transit
traffic stream. It would seem that distinguishing the ingress traffic by
not only the next-hop AS but also by the next-next-hop AS (or by the
complete AS path) so that you can identify which customer or peer of your
transit provider might be a likely interesting new peer for you. However,
due to the concept of BGP traffic in the internet being asymmetrically
distributed. It is not possible to exactly determine the real AS path of
incoming traffic. The only reliable information is about the next-hop and
the origin AS. Assuming that traffic is mostly symmetrical it is possible
to "estimate" the distribution of ingress traffic on AS paths. While this
assumption is questionable it at least allows to find out one (or some) of
the several "potential" intermediate" ASNs for a given origin ASNs.

Is the above statement OK, and what about egress analysis, would that not
also provide useful as that information is more reliable?

-guy